Are you enjoying healthy sleep or struggling with sleeplessness every night? What you do during the day, particularly in the hours right before bed can have an impact on your sleep quality.
Quality of sleep can be significantly impacted by several things, not the least of which are medications, your daily schedule, your pillow, your mattress, how you spend your evening and even what you eat or drink. Would you be surprised to learn that a few small adjustments could make all the difference in your sleep quality? One method for determining all of the above is keeping a two week sleep journal, this will show you exactly how your daily activities are affecting your sleep.
Have you ever heard the phrase “sleep hygiene”? This refers to a collection of sleep habits that will help you fall asleep faster and stay asleep through the night.
If you cannot remember the last time you had a good nights sleep, you may want to employ some of these sleep hygiene techniques. Of course, if you keep struggling with sleep issues, talk to your physician or seek help from an accredited sleep study center.
Tips for Better Sleep
Better Sleep Habits:
- Go to bed at such a time that you can get a minimum of 7 hours.
- Set a sleep schedule and do not deviate, even on weekends if you can help it. Once in a while of course things don’t work out but make it a habit.
- Seek out a top quality mattress and pillow. No matter what your sleep habit, if you’re not comfortable, you’re not going to sleep well.
- If you are laying awake after 20 minutes get up for a little while
- Bedrooms are for sleep or sex only
- Create a relaxing routine for bed
- No electronic devices in bedroom
- Disconnect from phone, television or computer 30 minutes before bed
- No large meals at bedtime or midnight snacks
- Maintain a healthy diet
- Avoid Alcohol, caffeine and excessive fluid intake in the late evening and before bed.
- Exercise on a regular basis
- Create a sleep atmosphere in your room, quiet, relaxing and comfortable temperature
- Turn down the lights in the evening time